Don’t wait to become a better copywriter! Listen to this episode where I dive into Kurt Vonnegut’s 8 Rules for Writing and discuss how you can use these 8 key tips to write better Instagram captions and emails to up-level your marketing game!
Kurt Vonnegut’s 8 Rules for Writing:
- Use the time of a total stranger in such a way that she or he will not feel that time was wasted.Instead of “the weather was nice today”
- Give the reader at least 1 character he or she could root for
- Every character should want something (even if it’s only a glass of water)
- Every sentence must do 1 of 2 things, reveal character or advance the action.
- Start as close to the end as possible.
- Be a sadist. No matter how sweet and innocent your characters, make awful things happen to them in order for the reader to see what they are made of.
- Write to please just one person.
- Give your readers as much information as possible, as soon as possible. To hell with suspense!
- Give valuable information, and don’t waste your reader’s time.
- Don’t have “fluffy” sentences that don’t advance the story or reveal information.
- Don’t make a story longer than necessary. If you can shorten it, do it.
- Write to your ideal or “celebrity” client.
- Don’t be vague in order to create suspense.
- Don’t worry about overwhelming your audience with your over-communication about your offers. You are serving them.